Monument record MCC8393 - Colchester - Town Walls
|Grid reference||Centred TL 99 25 (1000m by 0m) (Centred on)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
The town walls of Colchester are Roman in date with Medieval additions and rebuilding. During the reign of Richard II the wall was extensively rebuilt with the addition of a series of external semi-circular bastions of which 4 are still standing. <1> Traces of a ditch outside the walls at the NA and SW angles; at the NE the profile suggests a Medieval origin. <2>
- --- SEX65099 DESC TEXT: Brooks, H. 2005. A desk-based assessment of the archaeological remains around the Central Clinic, East Lodge Court, High Street, Colchester. June 2005.
- <1> SEX15 DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <2> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p20-1.
- <3> SEX36785 Scheduling record: Department of the Environment. 1986. Colchester Town Wall - EX7. parts 5-8.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM