Monument record MCC8227 - Bronze Age barrow, Field opposite 'Royalties', East Mersea
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0640 1494 (44m by 92m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||EAST MERSEA, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
Bronze Age tumulus at B. Spence's farm in East Mersea, excavated by quadrant method (i.e. excavated in four quadrants) in 1963-4. The circumference of the ring ditch measured c.44 ft (c.13.4m). A single shallow central urned cremation was defined (the base was 14 inches below plough depth); the inverted urn (the based of the urn had been removed by the plough) measured c.6 inches in diameter (and c.30 inches deep). Samples of the carbonised material were taken for analysis. Evidence of burning was found 'in the form of loose charcoal and three distinct burnt areas'. Dated approx. 1400-600 BC.<2><6>
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SEX36359 DESC TEXT: unknown. unknown. Archaeology Record.
- <3> SEX36360 DESC TEXT: unknown. unknown. History File.
- <4> SEX5457 Graphic material: Colchester Museum. unknown. ILLUSTRATION Col Mus.
- <5> SEX164 Photograph: Colchester Museum. unknown. PHOTO Col Mus.
- <6> SCC74114 EXCAV REPORT: Pryor, D.J.. 1966. Report on the Excavation of a Bronze Age Site East Mersea 1963-4.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2019 2:49PM