Monument record MCC8061 - Kidman's Dyke, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9635 2318 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The ditch of this part of Kidmans Dyke was visible as a shallow earthwork. Planning consent was conditional on the site of the ditch being left as a public open space. Unfortanately, the contractors dumped large quantities of soil over the ditch obscuring it. A machine trench was dug into the top of the ditch fill, which was c.8m wide, under the supervision of Nick Smith to establish its position.<2>
Note that MCC8544 is the same site/duplicate.
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SEX36612 DESC TEXT: Crummy, P. 1992. Colchester Archaeological Report 6. Excavations at Culver Street, Gilberd School and other sites in Colchester. 5-78; p.868.
- <3> SEX52274 AP: unknown. unknown. Gosbecks Roman Temple.
- <4> SCC110 Serial: Hawkes, Christopher, F. C. & Crummy, Philip. 1995. CAR 11: Camulodunum II. 11. p.121, No. 32.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (10)
- Parent of: Colchester-Dugard Avenue, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7083)
- Parent of: Colchester-Kidmans Dyke north and Heath Farm Dyke north (Monument) (MCC8190)
- Parent of: Heath Farm Dyke and Kidman's Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8215)
- Parent of: Kidman's Dyke North and Heath Farm Dyke North, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8189)
- Parent of: Kidman's Dyke North, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8188)
- Parent of: Kidman's Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7086)
- Parent of: Kidman's Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8216)
- Part of: Heath Farm Dyke Middle and Kidman's Dyke Middle, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8048)
- Part of: Kidman's Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7283)
- Related to: Kidman's Dyke, near James Carter Road, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8544)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 4 2016 3:33PM