Monument record MCC7899 - Colchester - King Coel's Pump (site of)

Summary

King Coel's Pump stood near the exchange, S of St Peter's Church, and at the W end of the High Street.

Location

Grid reference TL 9941 2519 (point) (FCE)
Map sheet TL92NE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

King Coel's Pump stood near the exchange, S of St Peter's Church, and at the W end of the High Street. It supplied water to the surrounding houses, was repaired by the local people c.1768 and finally capped some time before 1825. The site, in 1950, was the centre of a modern road. <1> - <4>

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
  • <2> RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL92NE3.9, 1950.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: Morant, P. 1748. History of Colchester. Vol 1, p111.
  • <4> DESC TEXT: Cromwell, T. 1825. History of Colchester. Vol 1, p192.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Nov 3 2015 11:41AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.