Monument record MCC7853 - St Nicholas' Church, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9976 2518 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
The first church on this site comprised a nave and chancel only, adapted from a standin Roman building, presumably sometime in the Anglo-Saxon period. <1> Hull thought that the first church had been built on the Roman foundations rather than reusing standing Roman walls. A pit was found to have been dug close to one of the Roman walls (N-S cross wall - W wall of * chancel) and produced 9 sherds of Thetford ware (date suggested to be C10 or later). The pit seemed to have been timber lined, but apparently without nails, as none were found. <2> <3> During Hull's excavations no Medieval walls were found resting on top of the Roman work. Instead, only the remains of the Victorian church were found, suggesting that the Roman walls had been reused above ground level in the Medieval period and had not simply served as convenient foundations as the excavator believed. <4>
Site Assessment = The church and graveyard were destroyed in 1955 with only limited archaeological recording possible. <1>
- <1> SEX148 DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p31.
- <2> SEX35604 EXCAV REPORT: Hull, MR. 1960. The St Nicholas Church Site, Colchester. NS, Vol 25, part III, pp301-28.
- <3> SEX35535 DESC TEXT: Crummy, P. 1981. Aspects of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Colchester (Colchester Archaeological report 1). No 39, p47.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM