Monument record MCC7847 - St Peter's Church, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9940 2522 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
The church was damaged in the earthquake of 1692 and probably soon after the windows of the aisles were remodelled. In 1758 the central tower was removed, the N and S arcades extended, partly with old materials, over its site, and the W tower added. Soon after the chancel was reduced to half its width by extending the nave arcades eastwards and at the same time the S aisle was extended to the same point. THe church was restored in the C19 when the clerestory was added and the chancel arch built. Features and fittings include: C18 W galleries in nave, and both aisles; C18 windows in aisles late C16 brasses; late C17 chair in chancel; communion rails, c.1710 in tower; late C16, C17 and early C18 monuments and floor slabs; plate includes stand-paten of 1698; Royal arms of William III in nave, on N wall; early - mid C17 table in vestry. <1> <2> <4> Essentially C18 with square red brick tower of 1758. Aisle windows of c.1700. Pulpit, a fine piece c.1700. Font of 1859. Communion rail used for tower staircase. <3>
- <1> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.41-42.
- <2> SEX15 DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <3> SEX83 DESC TEXT: Pevsner, N. 1954. The Buildings of England, Essex. p122.
- <4> SEX35453 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Colchester. p97.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM