Monument record MCC7826 - Holy Trinity Church, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9962 2512 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
Anglo-Saxon church with C14 work. <1> <2> <5> <6> Apart from the Anglo-Saxon work the church is of 1886 except for the E end of the chancel with an early C14 window and outside the S aisle and S porch which are C15. Font is perpendicular. Plate includes a fine Mazer of the C15. <3> Tower and nave W wall are Anglo-Saxon. Walls of chancel, chapel and aisle are flint rubble and septaria with courses of Roman brick, with Roman brick dressings; roofs are tiled. Chancel was rebuilt about the middle of the C14 later in the same century the nave S arcade was built and a S aisle added. Reused material indicates former existence of a late C14 S chapel. Late in the C15 S chapel arcade were built or rebuilt; the S aisle refaced or rebuilt with the S porch, both incorporating C14 work. Features and fittings include: C14 and C15 windows and window details; C15 or C16 squint in chancel; C15 (blocked) S chapel doorway; C14 S doorway, probably reset probably C16 chest in vestry; C14 or early C15 door in S doorway; probably C16 W doorway; early C15 font; C15 glass in S chapel; indent in S aisle; late C14 altar tomb and recess in S aisle; late C14 piscina in S chapel, S wall plate - C15 mazer or alms-dish - maplewood bowl with silver gilt rim, inscribed; seating detail in chancel - C15; C15 stoup in S porch. Post Medieval restoration when E vestry, N chapel and N aisle were added. (see 12251). <4> Little ancient fabric left by C19 restoration except tower. <6>
Site Assessment = Converted to a museum in 1974. Successful conversion - little damage to structure. A feature is the overpainting of ancient stonework. <6>
- <1> SEX20807 MENTION: Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <2> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL92NE3.3, 1976.
- <3> SEX83 DESC TEXT: Pevsner, N. 1954. The Buildings of England, Essex. p122.
- <4> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.33-35.
- <5> SEX35453 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Colchester. p128.
- <6> SEX148 DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p31-32.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM