Monument record MCC7806 - St James' Church, Colchester

Summary

Church was restored in the C19 when the tower arch, together with the N porch, in place of an earlier one of unknown date, were rebuilt and the clerestory added.

Location

Grid reference TM 0014 2522 (point) (FCE)
Map sheet TM02NW
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Church was restored in the C19 when the tower arch, together with the N porch, in place of an earlier one of unknown date, were rebuilt and the clerestory added. The early C16 N chapel roof has the two middle principals with carved braces carved with the arms of the See of London, probably C17 repairs. Features and fittings include: two bells 1622, bell frame is `old' 2 late C16 brasses; early C18 glass in N chapel (cartouche with the arms of the See of London); C17 monument in tower on W wall; floor slab (1677 and 171(4)); plate includes a slaver of 1705. <1> The odd little spire does not belong to the restoration of 1871. Stained glass of c.1850 said to have been obtained from Belgium or Holland. Plate includes 2 flagons of 1752. Wall monument of 1727. <2> Much C19 restoration, when the clerestorey was added and the tower arch and N porch rebuilt. Marble monument at W end of N aisle to Arthur Wesley (dated 1727). <3>

Trenches dug around the church gave the opportunity to view the detailed working of the drainage. No burials were disturbed during the work, although there was a quantity of loose human bone(charnel). Two of the trenches merely showed graveyard soil cut by the modern drain. The other revealed the outer face of the south aisle wall, and the face of one of the buttresses. <4>

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.35-37.
  • <2> DESC TEXT: Pevsner, N. 1954. The Buildings of England, Essex. p119-120.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: unknown. unknown. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Colchester. p23.
  • <4> EXCAV REPORT: Colchester Archaeological Trust. 2000. A report on test pits dug at the church of St James the Great, East Hill, Colchester,Essex. CAT Report no.72.
  • <5> DESC TEXT: Brooks, H. 2005. A desk-based assessment of the archaeological remains around the Central Clinic, East Lodge Court, High Street, Colchester. June 2005.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Nov 3 2015 11:41AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.