Monument record MCC7624 - All Saints Church, Fordham

Summary

C14 construction, the west wall of the nave of an earlier build.

Location

Grid reference TL 9274 2808 (point) (FCE)
Map sheet TL92NW
County ESSEX
Civil Parish FORDHAM, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

C14 construction, the west wall of the nave of an earlier build.<1> The nave, chancel, aisles and west tower were all built in the C14. The west wall of the nave is the only apparent survivor from an earlier building. The western engaged piers of the arcades rests on plinths as though they antedate an internal lowering of the ground. An earlier church is not in doubt as it is mentioned in a charter of 1087.<2> The church is ascribed in the main to a rebuilding of c.1340. West tower with diagonal buttresses. Nave with north and south aisles, south porch and chancel walls of coursed flint and rubble with much earlier red brick used as closely spaced bands; freestone quoins. The south porch has a side purlin and rafter braced roof of c.1500.<3> The walls are mainly of flint and pebble rubble with dressings of Barnack and soft limestone. The chancel was rebuilt in c.1330, the nave, aisles, south porch and lower part of the west tower in c.1340. The upper part of the tower was finished later in the C14. In the C16 the south aisle and porch and part of the north aisle were refaced or rebuilt. Chancel has a C14 east window, 2 mid C14 windows in the north wall mid C14 doorway and mid C14 chancel arch. Nave has north and south arcades of three bays of similar date and character to the chancel arch. The clerestorey has on each side three trefoiled windows of mid C14 date. The east window of the north aisle contains splays and four centred arch of the C15. The north wall cotains one mid C14 window and the north doorway probably of C13 and reset. South doorway C15. C14 tower arch. South porch has a C15 outer archway; side walls have each a C14 window. The roof of the nave is ceiled but has C14 or early C15 moulded plates and pole plates. Fittings include two C15 niches, and two of C16 and C15 grafitti on the jambs of the south doorway.<4> Other ref.<5>

Site Assessment (Rodwell & Rodwell 1977): The west arch of the south arcade is badly cracked and the two voissirs are slipping at a dangerous rate. Clearly major works are required and an opportunity for recording could be taken. The lower parts of the wall are suffering from damp. Nothing known archaeologically in the area.<2>

Five digital photographs of All Saint's Church, Fordham, taken August 2016.<6>

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
  • <2> Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.108.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.136.
  • <4> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.102-103.
  • <5> Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.365.
  • <6> Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of All Saint's Church, Fordham. Digital.

Finds (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 15 2016 1:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.