Monument record MCC7541 - Remains of All Saints Church, 60m north west of Stanway Hall Farm
|Grid reference||TL 9529 2207 (point) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||STANWAY, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Ruins of All Saints church built in the C14 and restored in the early C17 when the north porch was added. It fell into disuse probably in the later C17. <1> Formerly the parish church; walls of pebble and ragstone rubble with a large admixture of tiles and brick. The chancel has entirely disappeared except for the chancel arch now blocked and containing an early C17 window of brick with a crowstepped gable. <2> Other ref. <3> <4> <5> AP <6>. Photographic survey <7>. Site scheduled May 2001. <8> Photo refs <9> <10>
Site Assessment = The ruin stands in the grounds of Colchester Zoo. In a dangerous condition. Recommended for scheduling. <1> Ruined and now in a very poor state. <3>
- <1> SEX6712 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1975. SMR.
- <2> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p208-9.
- <3> SEX148 DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p118-9.
- <4> SEX7400 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p301.
- <5> SEX83 DESC TEXT: Pevsner, N. 1954. The Buildings of England, Essex. p336.
- <6> SEX58882 AP: Strachan, David. 1998. CP/98/12/15 and CP/98/13/1.
- <7> SEX59300 Historic Building Recording: Garwood, A.. 1998. All Saints Church, Great Stanway, Colchester, Essex, Building Recording.
- <8> SEX59950 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2001. Remains of All Saints Church, 60m NW of Stanway Hall Farm.
- <9> SEX62100 Photograph: Unsourced (see Source EX59800). 1998 ?. All Saints Stanway. A4.
- <10> SEX62227 Photograph: Tyler, Sue. 2000. All Saints Church, Gt Stanway. print.
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Part of: Church of All Saints, Maldon Road, Stanway (Building) (MCC4546)
- Part of: Remains of All Saints Church, 60m north west of Stanway Hall Farm (Building) (MCC7538)
- Part of: Remains of All Saints Church, 60m north west of Stanway Hall Farm (Monument) (MCC7539)
- Part of: Remains of All Saints Church, 60m north west of Stanway Hall Farm (Monument) (MCC7540)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM