Monument record MCC7370 - St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9681 1563 (64m by 61m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT AND LITTLE WIGBOROUGH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
Church extensively rebuilt in 1885 following earthquake damage of the previous year.<1> Chancel and tower rebuilt C19; C19 windows in nave. South porch rebuilt in 1903. Fittings include a C17 bell, three C17 floor slabs in the chancel, and plate includes a cup probably of late C16 date. <2> Nave roof is late C19 hammerbeam incorporating C15 moulded and carved wall plates.<3> Other ref.<4>
Site Assessment = Although it has a pleasant C19 interior the church is not exceptional and vast expenditure would be required to put it in good order. It is an obvious potential case for redundancy. Archaeological potential unknown.<1>
- <1> SEX148 DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p133-4.
- <2> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p133-4.
- <3> SEX7400 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p173.
- <4> SEX83 DESC TEXT: Pevsner, N. 1954. The Buildings of England, Essex. p197.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2016 3:05PM