Monument record MCC7330 - St Andrews Church, Abberton
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9974 1936 (23m by 62m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||ABBERTON, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The church stands isolated with the hall. C14 nave built of mixed rubble with dressings of limestone. C14 foundations visible beneath C19 chancel; C14 chancel arch. C16 brick tower with blue bricks in diaper pattern. Thin buttresses, two-light bell-openings. The churchyard is the point of termination or change in direction of the Abberton Dyke.<1><2><3> C14 nave, both south and north doorway are of C14. Restored 1841, when a W. gallery was erected, and in 1865, when it was removed.<4> Other ref.<5>
Site Assessment (Rodwell & Rodwell 1977) = Serious dampness in panelling and floor bricks loose. Major works to the floor and walls will soon be inevitable and ground lowering is needed. Site of moderate archaeological importance, not so much for the present structure but for the location at the southern end of the Abberton Dyke. No opportunity should be lost to investigate this site.<2>
Three digital photographs of Church of St Andrew, Abberton, taken July 2016.<6>
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.94.
- <3> SEX7400 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.1.
- <4> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.1.
- <5> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.85.
- <6> SCC72972 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of Church of St Andrew, Abberton. Digital.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2016 9:28AM