Monument record MCC7194 - Church of St John the Baptist, Mount Bures
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9045 3247 (28m by 13m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||MOUNT BURES, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The church was restored in the C19 when the central tower was rebuilt and the north and south transepts and the vestry were added. The transepts have no ancient features save the reused Roman brick quoins of the south transept. Features and fittings include: probably C17 chest in S transept; early C17 communion rail in vestry; headstone of 1662 north side of churchyard; plate includs a cup and cover-patten of 1641.<1>
According to Bettley & Pevsner, tower rebuilt by Thomas Harris in 1875, who added the short transepts and N. vestry Further restorations in 1908 and 1936.<2> C18 buttresses to north-west and south-west angles of nave. Transepts and tower rebuilt in 1875, 1900, 1936.<4>
Site Assessment (Rodwell & Rodwell 1977) = See MCC7193 for condition of the church. The churchyard has been cleared and has lost all interest.<3>
Seven digital photographs of Church of St John the Baptist, August 2016.<8>
- <1> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.184-186.
- <2> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.603.
- <3> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.100.
- <4> SEX7400 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.274.
- <5> SEX52250 AP: Tyler, Sue. 1986. Mount Bures.
- <6> SEX60455 AP: Tyler, Sue. 2000. CP/00/15/2-4.
- <7> SEX60454 AP: Tyler, Sue. 2000. CP/00/14/13-15.
- <8> SCC72962 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of Church of St John the Baptist, Mount Bures. Digital.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 2:08PM