Find Spot record MCC7192 - Church of St John the Baptist, Mount Bures
|Grid reference||TL 9045 3246 (point) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||MOUNT BURES, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Church fabric includes Roman brick quoins. Quoins of chancel and reused quoins of C19 south transept are Roman brick. North doorway has jambs of Roman brick; a late C12 window in the nave south wall has a Roman brick round head.<1><3><4> The Roman quoins of the old parts can easily be distinguished from the new builds. Norman windows with Roman brick dressings in the west wall, south wall and north wall.<2>
- <1> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.184.
- <2> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.903.
- <3> SEX74 MENTION: unknown. unknown. SMR.
- <4> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.100.
- <5> SEX52250 AP: Tyler, Sue. 1986. Mount Bures.
- <6> SEX60464 AP: Tyler, Sue. 2000. CP/00/14/13, 14, 15.
- <7> SEX60465 AP: Tyler, Sue. 2000. CP/00/15/2, 3, 4.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 12:58PM