Monument record MCC719 - Vineyard Street ('Bere Lane'), Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99867 24998 (point) (Approximate)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
East-West street running along the outside of the town wall on the south side of the town. The alignment has now been distorted by the Vineyard Street Car Park.
At the Lion Walk excavations 1971-4, the northern edge of what appeared to have been a gravelled street was found at the south end of Site N. This was probably laid out when the adjacent 11th century ditch was dug and represents the beginning of Vineyard Street.<1> A similar discovery was made at Excavation C (Holbert, 1965; ECC689) at Priory Street and P. Crummy suggests that the two surfaces may represent the origins of Vineyard Street and Priory Street, laid out as one scheme.<2>
Early reference to 'Bere Lane' in 1312, now Vineyard Street in Colchester Court Rolls.<4>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.91.
- <2> SCC45 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 1: Aspects of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Colchester. 1. p.53.
- <3> SCC45 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 1: Aspects of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Colchester. 1. p.79.
- <4> SCC322 Unpublished document: Colchester Court Rolls. 1, (1312).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 22 2017 12:53PM