Monument record MCC7067 - St Leonards Church, Lexden

Summary

Built in 1820-1, nave and west tower cement rendered.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9712 2534 (67m by 716m) (FCE)
Map sheet TL92NE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Built in 1820-1, nave and west tower cement rendered. The chancel was built in 1894 of brick with stone dressings. It replaced a medieval church which stood immediately to the north in the same graveyard. There is an important standing wall monument of 1771 in the nave.<1> The present church has a smAll west tower with spire.<2> The church contains two chairs of early C17 date from the old church.<3> Other ref. <4><5>
In seige of Colchester 1648 'July 14 1648 Parliamentarians take St Leonard's church and its small fort.<6>

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p.112.
  • <2> DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Borough. p.82.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.47.
  • <4> MENTION: unknown. unknown. SMR.
  • <5> DESC TEXT: Pevsner, N. 1954. The Buildings of England, Essex. p.242.
  • <6> DESC TEXT: Colchester Archaeological Trust. 1998. The siege of Colchester.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 23 2018 8:30AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.