Monument record MCC7006 - All Saints' Church, Wakes Colne
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8896 2860 (29m by 12m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||WAKES COLNE, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The church was restored in C19 when the E. wall was rebuilt and the S. vestry and organ chamber added. Features and fittings include: bells of 1662, 1707 early C17 brasses in chancel and nave; monument of 1617 on S. wall of chancel plate includes cup of 1702.<1><2> Chancel extended eastwards in C19.<4>
Site Assessment = The pleasantly foliated churchyard has been subjected to a modest amount of `tidying'.<3>
Five digital photographs of All Saints' Church, Wakes Colne, taken August 2016.<5>
- --- SEX58173 AP: unknown. 1988. 92-2.
- --- SEX58175 AP: unknown. unknown. 159-10.
- <1> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.225-226.
- <2> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. pp.802-803.
- <3> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.104.
- <4> SEX7400 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.324.
- <5> SCC72957 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of All Saints' Church, Wakes Colne. Digital.
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 9:23AM