Monument record MCC662 - Late medieval to early post-medieval building, Site C Osborne Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99752 24916 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a substantial late medieval to early post-medieval building, fronting on to Stanwell Street, were excavated at the western end of Site C, Osborne Street. The building was phased to Period 3b, c.1500-c.1650.
The wall foundations consisted of mortared stone, tile, and occasional brick plinths, which would have supported a timber-framed superstructure, probably a peg tile roof. The floors were largely of tile, in some cases at least replacing earlier daub floors, while surprisingly no hearths or chimney-stack bases were excavated. It is suggested that the building consisted of an open-hall structure on a frontage with a cross-passage to the south and the remains of a north wing to the east. Other rooms were possibly service rooms forming a south wing (seven rooms were defined).
The evidence for destruction of CAT Building 180 included scorched floors and the charred remains of ground plates, while the foundations and floors were sealed by a layer of destruction debris 0.5m thick, consisting of fragments of burnt daub, charcoal, brick and tile. The dating evidence suggests a mid 17th century date for this horizon and it seems likely that the building was burnt down during the Siege of Colchester in 1648 (Possibly following the attack on the nearby St John's Abbey gatehouse on 14th July 1648).<1>
- <1> SCC117 Article in serial: Shimmin, Don (CAT). 1994. Excavations at Osborne Street, Colchester. Volume 25, pp.46-59. pp.52-57 & Figs. 11-12.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2016 3:01PM