Monument record MCC602 - Roman temple, Sheepen, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 98791 25902 (1m by 0m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The robbed out remains of a Roman temple were found clipping the route of the Avenue of Remembrance next to St Helena School during Colchester Excavation Committee excavations at Sheepen in 1935. The small temple was Romano-Celtic in design with a rectangular cella 23ft E-W by 18ft 6" N-S. The foundation trench was located in four places and varied in width, the minimum being only 18". The bottom of the foundation was only 1ft 10" from the surface. The temple was erected upon a mound which 'could not have been made before the Antonine period, pottery recovered was described as Antonine and 'could run far into the third century.<1><2>
- --- SCC1033 Desk-based Assessment: Brooks, Howard (CAT). 2015. Heritage Statement: St Helena School, Sheepen Road, Colchester, Essex.
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. pp.233-244.
- <2> SCC99 Monograph: Hawkes, C.F.C. and Hull, M.R.. 1947. Camulodunum: First Report on the Excavations at Colchester 1930-1939. p.70.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2016 9:09AM