Monument record MCC427 - Medieval building (CAT Building 76), Middleborough, Colchester

Summary

The partial remains of an Early Medieval building was revealed during excavations on the west side of Middleborough (Cattle Market) in 1979.

Location

Grid reference TL 99374 25563 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
1848 Parish ST PETER
County ESSEX
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

During excavations at Middleborough in 1979 (ECC335), the archaeological remains of a 14th century medieval timber-framed building (CAT Building 76) were recorded on the site of the later 'New Market Tavern' public house (MCC429).<1><2>

The building was obscure and not as clearly defined as the adjacent 14th building to the south (MCC426 = CAT Building 75), phase 1 defined only by several postholes and a hearth (indicated by a burnt patch of daub). Some of the mortared plinths assigned to a later building on the same site (MCC428) could have belonged to this earlier structure.<1>

Note that the report (CAR 3) has one building number for all buildings/phases on the site (CAT Building 76).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.199 & Figs. 144 & 185.
  • <2> Monograph: Gascoyne, Adrian and Radford, David. 2013. Colchester. Fortress of the War God. An Archaeological Assessment. p.237.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 19 2016 9:22AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.