Monument record MCC409 - St Peter's Churchyard, North Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 99435 25243 (51m by 61m)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Churchyard of St Peter's, North Hill.
The graveyard is of average size for a town church, but has been encroached upon from the east by C19 building. Here formerly lay the vicarage and its garden, a narrow plot which extended along the entire east side of the graveyard. The Corn Exchange later occupied this site. It is probable that the south side of St Peter's graveyard originally abutted the High Street (here formerly called Corn Hill) and that the thin line of frontage buildings (Red Row) which now separates the two represents a medieval encroachment. An ecclesiastical speculative development here seems certain, the like of which is known elsewhere. The churchyard is no longer used for burial and is in good order and is well supplied with trees and vegetation. In part, it is densely crowded with 19th century tombs, many of which undoubtedly surmount brick-built vaults of great depth. Some clearance has taken place and a number of headstones are ranged along the south wall of the church. Ground level is generally high in relation to the Church, especially on the south side. <1>
- <1> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.28.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 26 2016 4:06PM