Element record MCC394 - Roman wall foundation, Middleborough, Colchester

Summary

Roman wall foundation discovered during the Middleborough (Cattle Market) excavation in 1979.

Location

Grid reference TL 99354 25535 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
1848 Parish ST PETER
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

During the excavations at Middleborough in 1979 (ECC335), a substantial wall foundation F862 was discovered to the south of MCC367 (CAT Building 69) in a trial trench, and is presumably part of an adjacent building. The plan of the building to which the foundation belonged and its relationship to MCC367 are unknown. The maximum extent of the foundation to the east and west was revealed by its absence in the sides of later robber trenches.<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. pp.159-160 & Figs. 148-149.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 19 2016 8:15AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.