Monument record MCC365 - Roman Building (CAT Building 67), Middleborough, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 99345 25542 (11m by 7m)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (5)
During the excavations at the Middleborough site in 1979 (ECC335), a timber-framed building of two phases dated to the late 1st century or early 2nd century AD (Period 1) was discovered (CAT Building 67). The building had three, possibly four rooms (the fourth may have been a platform on the street frontage, a small compartment), two of which were later additions. The building's superstructure had been supported on ground plates set within shallow slots. It was presumably a strip-house, aligned E to W, only part of which was uncovered.
South of the building, there was a gravel-and-mortar layer which formed an alley or yard continuing to the east of the building for a few metres. To the south of this a small part of another building (MCC366) was recovered.
The building's second phase (Phase 2, Period 1b) included re-flooring, a new hearth (F989) and an oven (F951).<1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. pp.155-158 & Fig. 145.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2016 8:01AM