Building record MCC3473 - Garrison Church, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0039 2439 (42m by 42m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Mid 19th century (built in 1856) timber-framed and weatherboarded, slate pitched roof and main western gable in the form of an open pediment, with exposed cast-iron brackets supporting iron trusses. The eight timber-framed bays are identifiable externally by triple circular-headed windows, clear glazed, set in the centre of each bay. The entrance at the western end has three semi-circular headed openings with double timber doors. A louvered bellcote caps the pediment at the west end. There are two vestries at the east end.<1><5>
The building is now used by Colchester's Russian Orthodox community and has been renamed St John's.
The churchyard (MCC9358) is from an earlier burial ground dating from 1804. A trial-trenched evaluation (four trenches) was undertaken by Colchester Archaeological Trust in 2007, following geophysical survey by Tim Dennis (ECC2741).<2><3> This work revealed twelve linear features (at c.0.9m below ground level), which were interpreted as graves and intercutting graves (further excavation would be needed to confirm that these features were graves). No human bone was exposed. See MCC9358.
Digital photograph taken in July 2016.<4>
- <1> SCC1099 Historic Building Recording: Ingram Consultancy Ltd. 2000. Colchester Garrison, Colchester. Historic Building Assessment. Building Group 9, pp.83-84.
- <2> SCC913 Geophysical Report: Dennis, Tim (University of Essex). 2007. A Geophysical Survey at the Garrison Chapel, Colchester. CAT Report 419.
- <3> SCC914 Evaluation Report: Brooks, Howard and Holloway, Ben (CAT). 2007. An archaeological evaluation at Colchester Garrison Church, Military Road, Colchester, Essex April 2007. CAT Report 419.
- <4> SCC72936 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photograph of Garrison Church, Colchester. Digital.
- <5> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.281.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey at the Garrison Chapel, Colchester, 2007 (Ref: ECC2741) (ECC2741)
- Event - Survey: Historic Building Assessment of Colchester Garrison (Ref: ECC2937) (ECC2937)
- Event - Intervention: Trial-trenched evaluation at the Garrison Church, Colchester, 2007 (Ref: ECC2742) (ECC2742)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2017 8:38AM