Monument record MCC3138 - The Mount in St John's Abbey Precinct, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 998 245 (18m by 13m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A prominent artificial mound located in the south-east corner of the walled precinct of St John's Abbey. The mound is marked as a circular shape on the early maps (which might simply be a mapping convention) but is now more elongated in shape (and also on the County Series 1:2500 Epoch 1, from which the mound has been plotted). The mound is first marked on Thomas Sparrow's 1767 map of the town, and consequently on later maps.<1> This might suggest the mound post-dates the 1648 Siege Map but it cannot be confirmed without further dating evidence.
Crummy (1981) states, 'It apparently contains much human bone and traditionally is fancifully regarded as being a product of plague or the siege of Colchester in 1648'.<3>
The 1:2500 First Edition County Series (c.1880) records, 'Human remains found 1867', but there is no further information (MCC1877). <2>
- <1> SCC312 Cartographic materials: Sparrow, Thomas. 1767. A survey of the Ancient Town & Borough of Colchester.
- <2> SCC279 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1882. 1882 1/2500 OS Map of Colchester.
- <3> SCC45 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 1: Aspects of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Colchester. 1. p.46.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 19 2016 11:13AM