Element Group record MCC2846 - Flagstone floor, Greyfriars


William Wire's journal records a floor of flagstones which may be related to the monastery buildings.


Grid reference TM 00061 25489 (point)
Map sheet TM02NW
County ESSEX


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

William Wire records in his journal: ‘At the lower part of the Botanic Garden opposite Lot IX a layer of wood ashes were discovered about thirty inches below the surface which continued ten feet then an intermission of a few feet then a commencement of it for four feet. Some short distance east of it was a floor of flag stones on which a fire had been made this was about six feet square then more to the east and opposite lot VI was at three feet below the surface a floor of three Roman tiles of the usual size continued by a path made with pieces of septaria and good size pebbles this extended the whole width of the trench dug for sewerage pipes – about three feet wide – how far it extended under ground on each side could not be ascertained as no more ground was removed than absolutely necessary for drainage purposes.’

Also: 'Purchased three pieces of stone – part of a capital – Mullion and window head found in Botanic garden. These probably are the remains of Grey Friars Monastery as that building was in the garden.'<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> DIARY: Wire, William. 1842-1857. Journal of William Wire. 18/06/1852, 11/09/1852.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Aug 1 2007 10:53AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.