Element record MCC2841 - Anglo Saxon eleventh century ditch, Priory Street

Summary

Town ditch located in Priory Street.

Location

Grid reference TM 00129 25072 (point)
Map sheet TM02NW
County ESSEX
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Town ditch located on Priory Street that appears to match up to the ditch located in Lion Walk. Although a defensive role for the feature was originally discounted by the excavator <1> as it was felt that the ditch was too shallow, Crummy has confirmed that the original depth would have been around 2.75m, which is roughly the same as the Lion Walk ditch. <2><3>

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Serial: Colchester Archaeological Group. 1965. Colchester Archaeological Group Bulletin 8, part 4. 4. pg 44-49.
  • <2> Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 1: Aspects of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Colchester. 1. CAR 1, 33, 35, 52.
  • <3> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. pp.54-57.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Oct 11 2016 2:05PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.