Element record MCC2742 - Cremation recorded in 1925
|Grid reference||TL 99379 24297 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Roman burials found on Garrison Sports Field <1><2> In 1925 P.G. Laver recorded around 28 burials located directly west of the garrison football field and SE of the circular road north. A map in the Laver Papers plots these although not to scale and a traced copy of this is bound into Hulls notes <3> The area is now the garrison athletics track and the south eastern edge of the rugby pitch.
CAT Report 206 includes a map showing the positions of these cremations <4>.
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.296, No 200.
- <2> SCC226 Index: Essex County Council. 1972. Colchester SMR (computer). SMR 13199.
- <3> SCC114 Unpublished document: Hull, M. Rex. Roman Colchester II: Extramural and Walls. II. pink map AF16.
- <4> SCC709 Evaluation Report: Brooks, Howard (CAT). 2002. An archaeological evaluation by trial-trenching on Areas A, B, D, GJ H, J, N, V and YP at Colchester Garrison PFI site, Colchester, Essex. Fig 10, CAT Report 206.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 11 2016 2:07PM