Monument record MCC2357 - Roman road, running north from Duncan's Gate, Colchester
|Grid reference||TM 0059 2487 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Roman road likely to have run north from Duncan's Gate, despite this not having been in use for much of Roman period. The alignment is unclear and the two entries below could refer to separate or later roads.
In May 1930, gravel resembling road metalling was observed 30 yards east of the Castle park boundary and 60 yards north of Duncan’s gate. Its surface was much broken by pits containing human bones.<1><2>
P.G. Laver noted road metal, at the Colne in line with Duncan's Gate, which he took to indicate a ford.<3><4> See sketch map and note.<5>
- <1> SCC146 Serial: Colchester Museums. 1933. Colchester Museum Reports 1925-1933. 1925-1933. 1931, p.7.
- <2> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.11.
- <3> SCC87 DIARY: Laver, P. G.. 1916-1940. P.G. Laver's Diary. 22/04/1923.
- <4> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.11.
- <5> SCC114 Unpublished document: Hull, M. Rex. Roman Colchester II: Extramural and Walls. II.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 2 2017 4:04PM