Monument record MCC2356 - Roman street between Insulae 23 & 24, Colchester

Summary

Roman north-south street between Insulae 23 & 24.

Location

Grid reference TM 0006 2526 (point)
Map sheet TM02NW
County ESSEX
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

In 1930 the excavation of the pathway at the entrance to Greyfriars revealed the surface of a Roman street running N-S. Its east side coincides with the marks on the wall of East Hill House showing the boundary of All Saints and St James's parishes. The metalling was small gravel, exactly as in the former sections of this street, 2ft to 2.5ft from the surface and 18ft wide.<1><2>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 2 2017 4:04PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.