The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
In 1930 the excavation of the pathway at the entrance to Greyfriars revealed the surface of a Roman street running N-S. Its east side coincides with the marks on the wall of East Hill House showing the boundary of All Saints and St James's parishes. The metalling was small gravel, exactly as in the former sections of this street, 2ft to 2.5ft from the surface and 18ft wide. <1><2>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. page 75.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC2356Roman street between Insulae 23 & 24, Colchester (Monument)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2016 10:17AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.