Monument record MCC2354 - Roman Road from East Hill to Colne

Summary

Roman Road from East Hill to Colne, recorded in 1928.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 0025 2545 (443m by 353m)
Map sheet TM02NW
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

P.G. Laver records that in May 1928 a trench cut along the entry to Crowther's factory cut through a road lying just north of the present street. His sketch shows it as about 25ft wide, lying 3ft below the surface, metalled with gravel, including large stones, cambered, and about 12" thick at the middle. This lay on a bed of yellow brick-earth 35ft wide and 2ft thick, the whole standing up above the general black garden soil which alone appeared on each side of it.<1><2>

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> DIARY: Laver, P. G.. 1916-1940. P.G. Laver's Diary. 19/05/1928.
  • <2> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.11, No 198.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 27 2016 9:15AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.