The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
P.G. Laver records that in May 1928 a trench cut along the entry to Crowther's factory cut through a road lying just north of the present street. His sketch shows it as about 25ft wide, lying 3ft below the surface, metalled with gravel, including large stones, cambered, and about 12" thick at the middle. This lay on a bed of yellow brick-earth 35ft wide and 2ft thick, the whole standing up above the general black garden soil which alone appeared on each side of it. <1><2>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. page 11, No 198.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC2354Roman Road from East Hill to Colne (Monument)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2016 3:28PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.