Monument record MCC23 - The Neptune Inn, Hythe Quay, Colchester (site of)
|Grid reference||Centred TM 01496 24568 (1m by 0m)|
|1848 Parish||ST LEONARD|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
The Neptune Inn was built in the 15th century with a central Hall. The exterior is quite modern and the original part has been much altered. The Hall formerly extended on to the site of the adjoining warehouse and in the partition is part of an original roof-truss. A curved and moulded brace springs from a moulded wall-post and supports the tie-beam; the spandrel is filled with traceried panels divided by moulded uprights; the spandrels of the tracery have carved foliage.<1>
It first appears by name in the alehouse recognisances of 1818. The pub was demolished shortly after it closed in 1935.<2>
Photographs taken during restoration work in 1905, revealed the buildings 15th century fabric.<3><4><5>
- <1> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. p.67.
- <2> SCC12 Monograph: Jephcott, Jess. A. 1995. The Inns, Taverns and Pubs of Colchester. pp.191-192.
- <3> SCC7 Photograph: Unknown. 1905 ?. Photograph of spandrel, Neptune Inn. Black & White print.
- <4> SCC8 Photograph: Unknown. 1908 ?. Demolition of Neptune Inn. Black & White print.
- <5> SCC9 Photograph: Unknown. 1908 ?. Photograph of timber framing at the Neptune Inn, Hythe Quay.. Black & white print.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Interpretation: Photo of spandrel in the Neptune Inn, Hythe Quay, Colchester, 1905 (Ref: ECC36) (ECC36)
- Event - Interpretation: Photograph of Neptune Inn during demolition, Hythe Quay, Colchester, 1905 (Ref: ECC37) (ECC37)
- Event - Interpretation: Photograph of timber framing at Neptune Inn, Hythe Quay, Colchester, 1908 (Ref: ECC38) (ECC38)
- Event - Survey: RCHME survey of Neptune Inn, Hythe Quay, Colchester, 1922 (Ref: ECC22) (ECC22)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2017 9:15AM