Monument record MCC2281 - Post medieval windmill, Harwich Road, Colchester


Post medieval windmill, Harwich Road.


Grid reference TM 01147 25554 (point)
Map sheet TM02NW


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Windmill, Harwich Road.<1>

St Ann's Mill, Harwich Road. An indenture of 3rd July 1833, by which John Angier the elder conveyed to John Angier the younger the leasehold of the mill and premises on the Harwich road throws some light on the history of this site. The lease was for the remainder of a term of 1,000 years dating from 29th December 1683, and in fact the mill appeared on the maps of Ogilby and Morgan (1678) and Warburton, Bland and Smyth (c.1724). The 1833 lease recorded that the brick tower mill , known as St Ann's Mill, and then standing, had been erected by Bezaliel Angier on the site of a post mill on land named Gogglefields.<2>

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Cartographic materials: Chapman, John and Andre, Peter. 1777. Map of Essex.
  • <2> Serial: Farries, Kenneth G.. 1984. Essex Windmills, Millers and Millwrights Volume 3. Volume 3. p.93.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 26 2016 3:35PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.