Monument record MCC2176 - The North Gate, North Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99389 25501 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Roman gate built as part of the town wall circuit in late 1st century AD. From Speed's 1610 map it appears as if the gate was rebuilt in the Medieval period as it is shown with a square headed gateway.<1> The top of North Gate was taken off in 1774, but the sides were incorporated into the adjoining houses, which were not demolished until 1823. <2>
In August 1944 when excavations were made to fix the fuse-box on the east side of North Hill. The remains of the North Gate were excellently preserved and standing up to the level of the present pavement. The excavations were small and very restricted, so that observation was difficult, and only one photograph could be obtained.<3><4><5>
Watercolour painting of Northgate, Colchester.<6>
- <1> SCC68 Cartographic materials: Speed, J. 1610. Theatre of the Empire of Great Britain.
- <2> SCC19 Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. p.250.
- <3> SCC161 Serial: Colchester Museums. 1962. Colchester Museum Reports 1934-1962. p.23.
- <4> SCC164 Serial: Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. 1945. Vol. XXXV Journal of Roman Studies. Vol. 35. p.83.
- <5> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.32.
- <6> SCC369 Graphic material: Eyre, Edward. 1770. Northgate, Colchester. COLEM1992.115.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2017 3:46PM