Monument record MCC2023 - Roman street between Insula 23 and 16, Colchester
|Grid reference||TM 00023 25297 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
North-south Roman street between Insula 22 & Insula 23.
During excavations on a site north of Winsley's House and East Lodge (ECC939), possible traces of a north-south Roman street were found 80ft. along the trench. At this point the Roman layers lay immediately on the subsoil at a depth of only 2ft. below the surface.<1><2>
In April 1937, 'a water main laid outside Winsley's House on the High Street showed road metalling beginning opposite the W side of the W window and extending to the centre of the E window. The depth from the surface was about 18". There was dark soil beneath it. The metalling was 8" thick, of large gravel, with some broken brick. A stone wall again appeared, coincident with the N wall of the trench, opposite the E side of the W window of Hill Crest. It continued to the end of this house at least. The depth to the top was over 2ft height at least 18"'.<3>
- <1> SCC176 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1963. Colchester SMR file: 'High Street, East Lodge,'64'.
- <2> SCC235 DRAWING - PLAN: R.B from Borough architects office. 1963?. Central Health Clinic Colchester - Site Plan.
- <3> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.69, No 169.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation of the Clinic Site, East Hill, Colchester, 1963 (Ref: ECC939) (ECC939)
- Event - Interpretation: Roman Street outside Winsley's House, High Street, Colchester, 1937 (Ref: ECC707) (ECC707)
- Event - Survey: Watching brief at the Central Clinic, High Street, Colchester, 2007-8 (Ref: ECC2776) (ECC2776)
Record last edited
Dec 13 2016 2:21PM