Monument record MCC1975 - Roman street between Insula 10 and 18, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 99478 25312 (20m by 8m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
An east-west Roman street between Insula 10 and Insula 18.
The road was uncovered during excavations at the Telephone Exchange site in 1950 where it appeared to have had a large masonry wall built across it (MCC1982).<1>
When an air raid shelter was made in the gardens of 4 & 5 North Hill in June 1940 the metalling of the road was encountered. The surface was found at a depth of about 5ft. and the width was approximately 17ft. although its limits were not reached at this point.<2>
Excavations at the NCP car park site in 1965 (ECC949) also revealed the east-west street. Beneath the earliest road surface was a burnt clay floor cut by two gullies and a pit filled with burnt daub (MCC2063) which were obviously open at the time of the Boudican fires suggesting that the street was not part of the original colonial layout or that it was narrower than its predecessor.<3>
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.71, p.98.
- <2> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.67.
- <3> SCC183 Article in serial: Dunnett, B.R.K.. 1966. Excavations on North Hill, Colchester. 123:1. p.33.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 13 2016 2:19PM