Monument record MCC1959 - Romano-Celtic temple, Royal Grammar School Playing Field, Colchester

Summary

Romano-Celtic Temple on the Royal Grammar School Playing Field excavated in 1947.

Location

Grid reference TL 98278 24413 (point)
Map sheet TL92SE
County ESSEX
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

A Romano-Celtic temple situated on the Colchester Royal Grammar School Playing Fields. The temple was first detected as cropmarks in 1938 (ECC348) and was excavated in 1947 (ECC869). The temple building was rectangular, apparently with a rammed earth floor, which extended outside leading Hull to suggest the existence of a timber veranda. Hull also suggested that the building had been divided by a north-south wall so that a square cella was formed with a narrow portico to the east. The temple building was surrounded by both a polygonal ditch and later precinct wall (MCC1962). Within this precinct and to the south of the temple building was another rectangular structure which Hull interpreted as an assembly hall (MCC1968).<1><2>

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. pp.236-240.
  • <2> Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick. 1980. Temples, Churches and Religion in Roman Britain. BAR British Series 77. p.258.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Oct 28 2016 12:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.