Element record MCC1841 - Roman wall, Eastern National Bus Depot, Queen Street, Colchester

Summary

Roman wall discovered during excavations at the Eastern National Bus Depot in 1931.

Location

Grid reference TL 99989 25061 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
County ESSEX
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

A Roman wall was discovered during excavations on land acquired for the Eastern National Bus Depot in 1931. The wall was situated 13ft. 6in. north of a drain (MCC1840) and the top of it lay 5ft. 6in. from the surface. The wall was 2ft. thick and built of septaria on a foundation of rubble concrete. 6ft. to the north of the wall was a robbed-out foundation trench (MCC1867). The wall foundation was cut into a deep deposit of clayey loam which represents the destruction debris from wattle-and-daub walls of demolished building (s).<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.216.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Dec 12 2016 11:11AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.