Monument record MCC1833 - Roman building, Hollytrees Meadow, Castle Park (Insula 15), Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99982 25432 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (4)
- BUILDING (Early Roman Colonia to Late Roman Colonia - 138 AD? to 409 AD? (between))
- TESSELLATED FLOOR (Early Roman Colonia to Late Roman Colonia - 138 AD? to 409 AD? (between))
- HYPOCAUST (Early Roman Colonia to Late Roman Colonia - 138 AD? to 409 AD? (between))
- MOSAIC (Early Roman Colonia to Late Roman Colonia - 138 AD? to 409 AD? (between))
A Roman building with tessellated pavement and hypocaust situated within the Castle Park (Insula 15).
The building was first revealed when workmen attempting to plant a goal post came across a red tessellated pavement only 18in. beneath the surface. The pavement was found to measure 12ft. 9in. E-W and 13ft. 9in. N-S. A quarter-round moulding had been run around the edges. To the east of the pavement lay a hypocaust and walls. The walls had been lined with hollow flue-tiles finished with painted plaster. A 12ft. square area of the hypocaust survived but the east and north sides were broken away and could not be traced. The remains of 44 pilae stood in position. In the SW corner the wall survived to a height of nearly 2 ft. No trace of the floor survived but it had supported a black and white mosaic pavement, with a geometric design, which had been destroyed by 'tile robbers'. To the north of the building was a midden and an area paved with 'fine metalling' . Beneath the building was a deposit of yellow clayey loam which contained pottery dated between AD 90 and 120. Pottery from the building could be attributed to the Antonine period or later.<1>
Parch marks recorded to the south and east of these remains may relate to walls belonging to the building <2>
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.115.
- <2> SCC101 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1992. CAR 6: Excavations at Culver Street, the Gilberd School, and other sites in Colchester 1971-85. 6. p.369, fig. 13.225.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 12 2016 10:50AM