Element record MCC1562 - Roman drain south of the precinct wall of the Temple of Claudius, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9983 2522 (16m by 1m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A tile-built drain, 'F6' situated to the south of the precinct wall (MCC1544) of the Temple of Claudius and set within a gravel road (MCC1551). This drain replaced an earlier stone-lined drain (see MCC1561) but was in a different position.<1><2>
The drain was also encountered during a watching brief for a foundation trench in 2006 (ECC2278).<3>
- <1> SCC51 Article in serial: Hebditch, Max. 1971. Excavations on the south side of the temple precinct at Colchester.. Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society Vol. 3, 115-130. p.120.
- <2> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. pp.169-170.
- <3> SCC922 Watching Brief Report: Shimmin, Don (CAT). 2008. Report on a watching brief: CAT Report 440. CAT Report 440.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation of Temple of Claudius precinct wall, High Street, Colchester, 1953 (Ref: ECC653) (ECC653)
- Event - Intervention: Excavations on South side of Temple Precinct, High Street, Colchester, 1964 (Ref: ECC666) (ECC666)
- Event - Survey: Watching brief at 99 High Street, Colchester, 2006 (Ref: ECC2748) (ECC2748)
Record last edited
May 24 2018 2:37PM