Monument record MCC1551 - Roman street between Insula 30 and 22, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9985 2523 (23m by 5m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
An east-west Roman street between Insula 30 and Insula 22. The street was trenched in 1932 (ECC666) where it was found to consist of 7in. thick gravel metalling. The street had been re-surfaced twice and was separated from the southern wall of the Temple Precinct by successive drains.<1><2>
The Norman ditch of the Castle has left in position part of the Roman Street, of which several layers are preserved.<3>
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.65.
- <2> SCC51 Article in serial: Hebditch, Max. 1971. Excavations on the south side of the temple precinct at Colchester.. Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society Vol. 3, 115-130. pp.115-124.
- <3> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.64, No 14.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation of Temple of Claudius precinct wall, High Street, Colchester, 1953 (Ref: ECC653) (ECC653)
- Event - Intervention: Excavations at Northfolk's House, Castle Bailey, Colchester, 1932 (Ref: ECC808) (ECC808)
- Event - Intervention: Excavations on South side of Temple Precinct, High Street, Colchester, 1964 (Ref: ECC666) (ECC666)
- Event - Interpretation: Roman Street south of the Castle, Colchester (Ref: ECC717) (ECC717)
Record last edited
Dec 9 2016 9:32AM