Element record MCC1361 - Roman tombstone of Longinus, Beverley Road, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 98588 24838 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The Tombstone of Longinus was found west of Beverley Road found during building work in 1928. The tombstone was discovered by workmen below 3 feet of topsoil, removed as part of the site levelling operation, on 14/04/1928. It was lying face down in several (“at least ten”) pieces.<1><2><3><4><5><6>
The site was re-excavated in 1996-1999 by Colchester Archaeology Group (ECC3895), when pieces of the tombstone were found adjacent to the location of the site of the rest of the tombstone.<7>
A geological study of the tombstone confirms that the limestone was imported from a quarry in Gloucestershire.<8>
A Roman altar was found near the site of the tombstone of Longinus in 1849 (MCC2439).
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.254, plate 2 , p.293, No24.
- <2> SCC143 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. Vol. 19 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. XIX (New Series). p.117.
- <3> SCC146 Serial: Colchester Museums. 1933. Colchester Museum Reports 1925-1933. 1925-1933. 1928, p.8.
- <4> SCC244 Serial: Romish-Germanischen Kommission Des Deutschen Archaologischen Instituts. 1924. Vol. VIII Germania. Vol. VIII. p.188.
- <5> SCC246 Serial: Society of Antiquaries. 1928. Vol. VIII Antiquaries Journal. Vol. VIII. p.527.
- <6> SCC245 Serial: Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. 1928. Vol. XVIII The Journal of Roman Studies. Vol. XVIII. p.212.
- <7> SCC73014 Excavation archive: Mallinson, John, Benfield, Stephen, Hardy, Denise & Matthews, Michael J.. 2012. Report on the 1928 and 1996 Longinus excavations.
- <8> SCC73013 Monograph: Hayward, K.M.J.. 2009. Roman quarrying and stone supply on the periphery - Southern England; a geological study of first century funerary monuments and monumental architecture.. BAR British Series 500.. pp.133-135.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation and watching brief at 1, 1a and 2 Beverley Road, Colchester, 2003 (Ref: ECC2693) (ECC2693)
- Event - Intervention: Investigations by Colchester Archaeological Group east of Silvanus Close, Colchester, 1996-98 (Ref: ECC3895) (ECC3895)
- Event - Intervention: Tombstone of Longinus, Colchester, 1927 (Ref: ECC1267) (ECC1267)
Record last edited
Nov 15 2016 10:55AM