Building record MCC136 - 1 North Station Road, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99387 25671 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
House, No 1, four tenements, North of North Bridge. The back part is of early 17th century date and the front part an addition of later the same century. The west front is faced with modern brickwork.<1>
No's 1, 3 & 4 picturesque 17th century timber-framed and plastered cottages, restored. On north bank of river east of North Bridge. Two storeys, tiled and pantiled roofs. Timber framing exposed on the front.<2>
On going over the middle of the three timber-framed cottages (3 Riverside Walk), Mr H.C. Carter observed that the principal joist across the ground floor ceiling appeared to be the lower part of a ships mast, which may also run through the next cottage to the east. The square butt is reduced to the cylindrical shaft by a chamfer-stop which appears to be of 16th century pattern.<3>
Ink drawing of houses from North Bridge.<4>
- <1> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. No 244.
- <2> SCC4 LIST: Department of the Environment. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Borough of Colchester (Essex). TL 9925 NW 1/186.
- <3> SCC201 Article in serial: Carter, H.M.. 1968. Ship’s Timber in a Colchester Cottage. Colchester Archaeological Group Annual Bulletin Vol. 11, part 3, p.18. Volume 11, Part 3, p.18.
- <4> SCC343 COLLECTION / PARENT: Bale, J. E. (Major). 1837-1913. Bale Collection.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: DOE Listing of 1, 3 & 4 North Station Road (Riverside Cottages), Colchester, 1971 (Ref: ECC561) (ECC561)
- Event - Interpretation: Drawing of house at North East End of North Bridge, Colchester, 1913 (Ref: ECC1955) (ECC1955)
- Event - Interpretation: Ships Timber observed in 3 Riverside Walk, Colchester, 1967 (Ref: ECC1069) (ECC1069)
- Event - Survey: Survey of 1 North Station Road, Colchester, 1922 (Ref: ECC1024) (ECC1024)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2019 11:15AM