Monument record MCC10054 - The 'Laver ditch', Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 96448 23953 (433m by 222m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A.F. Hall cut a section across the ditch in 1936 (TL 96512375). An 18m long east-west trench was excavated at the northern end of field 1302 and was positioned to section Ditch 9. The ditch was cut obliquely and found to be 1.2m deep below modern ground level and (after allowing for the angle of the
cut) c.3.0m wide. Mr Hall wrote, 'At the bottom there is an almost stoneless silt. Above the silt the soil filling grows progressively more stony. There was no pottery here or anywhere in the dig.'<1><3>
It was also observed in 1953 (TL 964023696).<2>
It would appear that the ditch was also defined in several locations (recorded as ditch F2) during the construction of the Southern Outfall Sewer Scheme in 1979-80 (ECC3894).
- <1> SCC110 Serial: Hawkes, Christopher, F. C. & Crummy, Philip. 1995. CAR 11: Camulodunum II. 11. p.109, no. 17, Fig. 2.11 & Fig. 6.2.
- <2> SCC110 Serial: Hawkes, Christopher, F. C. & Crummy, Philip. 1995. CAR 11: Camulodunum II. 11. p.109, no. 18, Fig. 2.11 & Fig. 6.2.
- <3> SCC110 Serial: Hawkes, Christopher, F. C. & Crummy, Philip. 1995. CAR 11: Camulodunum II. 11. pp.171-172..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 8 2016 10:01AM