Monument record MCC10030 - St Barnabas' Church, Chappel

Summary

Formerly a chapel of St Barnabas, Great Tey. Recorded in 1285.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 89415 28365 (19m by 14m)
Map sheet TL82NE
County ESSEX
Civil Parish CHAPPEL, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Bettley & Pevsner record, 'Formerly a chapel of St Barnabas, Great Tey. Recorded in 1285. Nave an chancel in one, mainly of flint rubble, and belfry with very pointed little weatherboarded spire. The E. window and one S. window are early C14'. C14 roof.<1>

Single-celled church, said to have been erected in 1352; certainly no features are demonstrably earlier, but the puddingstone quoins are remarkable if of that date. Originally a chapel-of-ease to Great Tey and dedicated as such in 1352; made an independent parish in 1533. Graveyard totally destroyed, with headstones being used for paths and boundaries. Archaeologically not very promising. Grading: CIIIa (listed B).<2>

Six digital photographs of St Barnabas' Church, Chappel, taken August 2016.<3>

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.199.
  • <2> Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.101.
  • <3> Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of St Barnabas' Church, Chappel. Digital.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 15 2016 3:49PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.