The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
In February 1935, the owner of No.22 Crouch Street, Dr. E. Wirth, allowed the Colchester Museum to investigate a piece of Roman walling in his garden, which he intended to demolish for a rockery. Little work could be done due to a lack of space but the wall was found to be the arc of an apse, which apparently formed part of the east end of the building. Opposite the south end of the apse was a timber lined pit containing over 70 Roman coins. Hull concluded that the pit was "probably a well"<1> but Crummy disputes this.<2>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p245-248.
Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1993. CAR 9:Excavations of Roman and later cemeteries, churches and monastic sites in Colchester, 1971-8. 9. pp.175-176.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC476Late Roman church, Butt Road, Colchester (Monument)
Record last edited
Feb 8 2016 3:48PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.