The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
In 1935 the outer lip of the Town ditch was cut away in the laying out of the Park bowling Green. Great quantities of pottery and other Roman objects were found, but the most striking discovery was that the upper 3ft of earth (all that was moved) was full of disturbed human bones. It was as if the ditch had been enlarged after it had been used as part of a cemetery for a great number of inhumations. The burials were considered by Hull to be possibly early Anglo-Saxon, 'the darkest part of the Dark Ages'; however, he also states, 'of this there is no proof' (although note the fifth century grave group discovered not far to the east in 1972; see ECC1187).<1><2>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.257.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
MCC2362Human remains found on the site of Castle Park bowling green, Colchester (Element)
MCC659Roman defensive ditch of the Roman Colonia, Colchester (Monument)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2018 9:04AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.