The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
In 1913 excavations to repair the town drains revealed a number of interesting features along Head Street and St John's Street. The trench revealed part of the Head Gate, a few feet north of the tablet which was located wall of 'the new Liberal Club' (now gone) and also a section of town ditch. About 10 yards to the north of the Roman remains a cellar wall was found in the roadway composed of small bricks of the medieval period. For a full account of the other discoveries please refer to.<1> For a detailed review of this article see Hull's notes.<2>
Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1915. Vol. 13 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. XIII (New Series). page 107.
Unpublished document: Hull, M. Rex. Roman Colchester II: Extramural and Walls. II. Two pages after Wire's fold out map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
MCC2124Early Tudor? cellar of possible Medieval Head Gate, Colchester (Monument)
MCC659Roman defensive ditch of the Roman Colonia, Colchester (Monument)
MCC1760Roman Head Gate, Head Street, Colchester (Monument)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2016 8:05AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.